Friday, January 8, 2010

Old Friends

Its funny how you can come across many horses in your life, but there will always be one or maybe two that will stay with you forever. The dark bay in the photo is of my old horse "Roo". I got him as a 9yr old and when i saw him for the first time I was in love.... He wasnt flash but had been a B grade jumper at one stage and had potential. Though he certainly didnt show it when i took him over a log, he flately refused not once but three times, there was no way he would jump, even the owner at the time couldnt get him to jump. But i didnt care to much ...he was the horse i wanted..
So that was that and we were together till he was PTS at the grand age of 34! He got cancer of the mouth a very agreesive cancer so there was nothing we could do. Im not sure if you can have a horse as a soul mate but I think we were darn near it. We were very much tuned it, he followed me everywhere, he knew what i wanted and I him. Its been 5 years now since he has gone and i still miss the grumpy old sod... One day I will write a book of all our adventures, as there certainly was many happy and a few nail biting moments we had together.

The grey pony was "Alfie" a cheeky wee shetland who i trained to pull a cart. He had his moments and could be very stubborn but didnt have a bad bone in his body. I had the wee chap for about 15 years, got him as a year old colt, but sadly he struggled with cushings for many many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment